Gasp! Moan! Oh My!
Most of you have probably seen this by now, but just in case, there is big [un-]casting news on Days of Our Lives, according to Soap Opera Digest:
It's hard to believe, but it's true: Superstars Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Drake Hogestyn (John) are the first two casualties of DAYS's massive budget cuts. In an exclusive interview with Soap Opera Digest, Executive Producer Ken Corday says, "The couple will be happily reunited after a long period of angst and separation and will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time. It was a very tough decision to make." To see what else the exec has to say about the popular duo — and the show’s recent pickup by NBC — be sure to pick up the next issue of Digest.
I must admit, this doesn't upset me. I liked them in the 80s and 90s (yes, even together -- I have not always been a hater), but Marlena in particular hasn't been an interesting character in about a decade. I've liked the latest incarnation of John Black a lot, but if these two bring in huge salaries and had to be cut to give the show one last shot at continuing, it's fine by me.
In case you're a little weepy over this news, let's remember how annoying Marlena and John have been together over the last couple of years, shall we? And while we're at it, I guess we can humor your nostalgia by remembering some of the better times. (Which pretty much involve John dying or behaving like a totally different person.)
- Oh god, remember the coma months of early 2007? "Gag me with a spoon" still seems to sum them up well.
- The brain-scarring "oooh, mama!" incident -- in words, then video -- brought on multiple guffudders. Gasp! Moan! Oh my!
- Remember when John went splat on a car, and I still couldn't be nice about Marlena? Oh my! And then I stupidly thought they actually did kill John off? Gasp! But they totally didn't? Moan!
- I was bummed about the resurrection and the absurd daily focus on Marlena (Moan!), but then, well, The Door Incident happened, and I was nothing but gleeful. Gasp! Oh my!
- I even found one of their sex scenes entertaining ("Brace yourself!"), and ultimately it was that kind of romance that made me fall madly in love with the new John Black. Gasp! Oh my!
Okay, maybe I'll miss them a little bit. Their departure will significantly decrease Days' mocking opportunities. Gasp! Moan! Oh my!