I'll Forgive You, Patrick, I Will!
I'm assuming that final line of today's show was Patrick asking for forgiveness from Robin -- perhaps because he intends to deliberately "lose" Jason during surgery. Now, even with new showrunners, we all know there's absolutely zero chance Jason won't pull through, but I still just wanted to put it out there in the universe that I for one would be totally willing to forgive Patrick if he went through with it. In case that helps at all.
In fact, I'm in an awfully forgiving mood today for a few reasons:
1. They decided to finally give Helena her fangs back!
Considering the history, having Helena pop in a couple times a year for Luke to flirt with her has hardly been compelling storytelling. A real threat? A real non-mob-related-or-freak-accident threat? I'll take it!
2. Helena getting her fangs back meant this happened:
Cassandra/Irina is dead dead dead! Damn, they came right in, gave her a silly and totally hilariously implausible backstory, and dispensed of her lickety-split. I love it! Is that mean? And then Ethan bawled and cried over her, which was also fun since he's known her like a month. Because true love, y'all.
It gave us the gift of that hilarity, about which I cannot complain.
3. Mac was a character on the show again today and not in an incompetent-police-chief-on-the-sidelines capacity.
No, for serious! He had more than one scene! About his personal connections! I'm confused but excited.
4. This protruding tree root (or rock or dirty chunk of ice or whatever they meant for this painted piece of styrofoam to be) exists:
Seriously, they kept featuring it in establishing shots. And then... major payoff! Starr took a hilarious tumble after tripping on it and literally bounced when she hit the ground.
A good time was had by all.
5. There were myriad ways in which the events of each storyline today related to the other storylines. I mean, what? There were, like, interwoven components of the afternoon television program! I am disoriented but in a happy way.
On the other hand, there are a handful of things I'm not feeling very forgiving about at all.
1. They had Mac anoint Spinelli as the one to tell Maxie about Robin's death. I strongly dislike. That is not okay. Not even a little. (That said, if they keep going down the ActingLikeAHumanBeing Road they've sent Spinelli down on his last few appearances, this could help further that very worthy agenda.)
2. Clearly they're going in a "Oh no Matt has a drinking problem just like Noah!" direction, which really bums me out because DrunkMatt is AwesomeMatt and I love him.
I'd hate it if DrunkMatt were supposed to be all dramatic and worrisome. Also, didn't we just ditch an annoying drinking problem story? I'm ready to put that subject matter in storage for a while till it cycles back around in a reasonable amount of time.
3. A miracle did not occur and Kimberly McCullough's reappearance does not mean she and Robin are sticking around. Robin's still really gone. For now. (Sad moments appearing to Jason and to Patrick and then vanishing like that. Guh.)
I'm off to find out what Angelina Jolie's Right Leg is up to! Pressing concerns, y'all.