Do You Want the Good News or the Bad News First?
I'm practicing my "doctor breaking the news" speech because there's a new opening at General Hospital in Port Charles, New York. I hear it's a tough town and tends to be overrun by the mob, but I actually hear the particular mob that's generally winning the various mob wars is made up of saintly hitmen and mob bosses who really, really love their children. So it can't be all bad, right?
So let's start with the bad news, shall we?
- Starr is back. She is looking for Sonny, the man who killed her family, "unless he dint." As she put it. Is that mean? I'm feeling mean. Anyway, she took Johnny's gun, so is of course off to do something really smart and fun.
- Jason is still an ass. Getting excellent advice from both Elizabeth and Sonny to actually try to be patient and listen to Sam and show her some compassion in the wake of her trauma, well... it didn't stick. He walked into his house and started yelling at his wife within seconds. And it's still about her talking to John McBain, just after he has reported Sam's personal business to two other people. After telling Sam that talking won't help anything. When she pointed out this double standard to him (after learning that he told Liz everything), he was unmoved. And then when she broke my heart, telling him it seems as though he can't even look at her...
Hint to Jason: when your recently-raped wife tells you that you can't look at her and it makes her feel tainted, look at her. Immediately. (Spoiler: Jason did not take the hint.) Anyway, she's going to move out to give him some time to decide whether he's going to leave his wife over this. I hope he chokes on that time. She says she's trying to do what's best for her child and, hint to Sam: not raising your child with a hitman is a good start.
- In general, the usual dull things are happening, like cops trying to bust Sonny (Gasp! Will John McBain imprison Sonny for real? It's so hard to tell!) and Starr's after Sonny for revenge (Gasp! Will Starr kill Sonny? It's so hard to tell!). I have this little fantasy: since we know Sonny won't get killed or imprisoned, can someone opposing Sonny come up with a different plan? I'd love to see someone work to take away his power -- not a stronger mobster, but somebody smarter and with a moral or two. That way there could be some curiosity about the outcome. A powerless and penniless Sonny could actually be an interesting story. But this stuff? Old hat, we don't need it. But we're sure getting it.
The good news?
- We got a flashback to Sonny's shiny suit.
I'm already sick to death of the constant flashbacks to things that just happened (a Valentini/Carlivati habit I never did appreciate), but when they are to super-awesome things like destroyed cakes or funny shiny suits on angry men, I can live with it.
- There was a catfight. Sometimes these work, and sometimes they're just too ridiculous and contrived. But Carly and Konnie are both pretty ridiculous. So it made some sense. And the best part was that it basically started when Konnie was walking away and Carly just pushed her from behind, like a Mean Girl on a playground.
Which is a pretty apt act, as it's a pretty apt description of these people. And I mean, I realize these two women do co-own the hotel, but it was hysterical that this was all happening in a public hotel lobby that would theoretically be full of people. Just standing around. Watching.
Sadly, someone did eventually have the presence of mind to stop them. Anyway, Carly learned that Kate has D.I.D., so I'm psyched for her to google that. I hope she figures it out quickly.
- Elizabeth had a conversation with Olivia, trying to figure out the whole situation with Kate and Ewen and Johnny and Steve. I'd love to see Liz get a new friendship with a woman, instead of the way they so often just pit her opposite them (and yes, Olivia's been written as a mega-bitch lately, but hopefully they can soften her). And I do always enjoy Liz in Nancy Drew mode!
I have to say it was a rough one after a nice handful of episodes that were much lighter on Sonny and Jason and Carly and Johnny and Starr, but see? I found some positives! Don't ever say I'm a Negative Nellie! Mostly because that's annoying.
Can we get back to Anna now?